Fast finishers in ESL classroom


I teach in primary school in Croatia and it is quite normal here for ESL teachers to move from the classroom to the classroom for each lesson they have. It means a lot of moving around, a lot of things to carry around and great organizational skills if you want to arrive on time and with all the equipment you need for the lesson.

Now, here is a question that constantly pops-up im my mind: what do I do with my fast finishers? What pupils really are fast finishers (as you always have pupils who want to do the activities but don´t do their tasks properly)? How much time do you want them to spend (or do you actually have in 45 mins) doing these activities? Where do you put their work? How do you grade it (or do you grade it at all)? Do you make a fixed list of activities or you change them according to your plan or units? 

I´ve been doing some browsing and found activities that I believe will work for my lower grades classrooms. So here goes the list! 

  1. write new vocabulary three times
  2. dollar words- each letter has given a value and pupils should make up a word worth as close to 1$ as possible (or you may give them a task to find the word with the highest worth etc.; they may draw the winning word)
  3. read a book and create a new cover for it
  4. read a book and write a simple book review
  5. create a bookmark for the book you have read
  6. write a list of 8/10 rhyming words in English
  7. solve a riddle and write and draw a solution of it (teachers can prepare riddles according to units they teach)
  8. write your opinion of a certain topic (there are many easy opinion model writing sheets on the Internet)
  9. roll a... game- pupils roll a dice and according to the choice they have to draw (there are many versions of this game and again it can be prepared according to the unit you teach)
  10. write a riddle for your friend (pupils can use the riddles you wrote for them as a writing model for their riddle)
  11. create a wordsearch for your friend (an activity you will have to practise with your pupils)
  12. engineering challenge (your pupils will probably enjoy this one very much but it will take more than one lesson and it will need some material preparation; perhaps it´s a good idea for a month´s challenge)    
Why not test these activities in a few months time? I am sure some will work, others will need extra preparations, some we will have to discard and some will be a real hit! 

As for my doubts mentioned above, I think I will try the activities and answer the questions as I progress. Why not? 

Primjedbe

  1. Make a quizlet with target vocabulary and they can practice playing games on tablets or laptops (if you have them in your classroom)

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. Thank you for the idea. I guess I could use the ICT classroom more too. I've been thinking about that lately.

      Izbriši

Objavi komentar

Popularni postovi